If you enjoy Christmas lights and trains head out to the BC Forest Discovery Centre in Duncan for their Christmas Express. You will have an opportunity to ride through the forest and among their many historic buildings in one of their old steam trains, “Sampson” built in 1910. Take a look at the stats, impressive:
Cowichan Valley Railway Locomotive No. 25 “Sampson”
- Designation: Class C-6, 0-4-0 ST.
- Weight: 18 tons.
- Built: 1910, as c/n 1549.
- Cylinder dimensions: 10×16
- Boiler pressure: originally 140 pounds per square inch – now 150 psi).
- Hauling capacity on straight level track: 95 tons.
- Gauge: narrow (36 inches).
- Fuel: originally coal – now oil.
Live Christmas music, a chance to have your photograph taken with Santa and hot chocolate and snacks. That’s enough to keep the kids entertained as well as many of us grown up kids.
I’m planning on heading down to the Forest Discovery Centre this weekend so promise lots of photos in about a week. In the meantime, here’s a photo of one of the old steam trains in the snow.
Christmas Express Hours:
December 4 – 13
Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays – 4:00 pm – 9:00 pm
December 18 – 23
Friday-Wednesday – 4:00 pm – 9:00 pm